Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Floating Around

Its strange how a city like Mumbai, which, when looked at from a distance, appears to be so alive and cosmopolitan, is, essentially, so... synthetic.

Theatre is dying, as I discovered the moment I embarked upon the fantastic journey of theatrical conquest. But I'm not just talking about theatre. I'm talking about art in general and I'm talking about it abstractly. I'm talking about individuality, the bohemian panache that accompanies the artistic temperament.

Take coffee houses, for example. The moment you say 'coffee house' you think of two places - Barista, or Coffee Day. Both synthetic, both over-priced, and both brimming with customers at any hour of the day.

Which is disgusting, really, because it only proves how we, as consumers, are slaves to marketing.

Sure, there are a lot of 'underground' places to hang out with friends, but with a CCD or Barista at every street corner, its a little hard to not walk in a couple of times a month, just for the sake of convenience.

Its a sad state of affairs, really. What's happening to people's wild artistic sentiments? Do people actually LIKE bumming around at places like Coffee Day? Do people actually LIKE patronising mass-produced lifestyles? 

And I'm not saying I strictly abstain from these Houses of Sin/Brothels of Coffee/Shitty Cafes - call them what you will. I don't. And thats precisely why I hate them so much. 

The fact that, whether I like it or not, they have made themselves a part of my life, and I'm not allowed to be in control anymore. 

No comments: