Saturday, June 27, 2009

Tina Fey



I recently started watching 30 Rock, as a way of easing some of the boredom I've been experiencing, what with the lack of 4000-word assignments, etc., from my life (how do people survive without pressure?).

30 Rock is a TV show that is centered around the cast and crew of a fictitious TV show called 'TGS with Tracy Jordan'. Meta-TV? TV within TV? To quote Tina Fey - 'I want to go to there!'

What I love about it is that, while being hilarious, it is not one of those shows that easily slides into the category 'sitcom'.

Now, Friends, The Big Bang Theory and the like are all really funny, but they have this - bimbo - feel about them. The best way I can explain it is, if the characters all wore pink tutus and frilly baby blue bows in their hair, it wouldn't look out of place.

In 30 Rock, however, there is a certain air of class. Like an infrared signal that says '*oxford accent* only classy taters watch this, you know, what?'

30 Rock is smart and it makes me feel smart to watch it. I like engaging in 'smart' activities that stimulate my mind and make me look posh to my peers - you know, stuff like watching endless hours of TV, listening to Lady GaGa and 3Oh!3 and playing games like Ice Cream Machine on Neopets.com.

But no, really, 30 Rock has this certain approximation of Simpson-ish humour that really works in a non-cartoon, no-yellow-people environment.

What I love the most about the show, though, possibly even more than the brilliant stab-yourself-to-stop-laughing comedy, is the fact that the show embodies everything I want my life to be - hectic, with me running wildly around a television (or film!) studio, married to my work, doing wonderful things, saving the world, making money, looking gorgeous, marrying Christian Bale.
 
Okay the my life dream/30 Rock analogy ends at 'looking gorgeous'. Refer to the picture above in case the previous statement perplexed you.

2 comments:

nes said...

listening to Lady GaGa makes you feel SMART? are you GAY?

shoelass said...

okay, i know tone is not an easy thing to stimulate on a medium such as this, but i think i did a pretty good job by saying 'smart' and not smart.

and of course, you did a very bad job with your eyes.